Founder and Director
Cowboy Jazz, Dr. Houle's collection of original piano solos for intermediate level students, was published in 2008 by the Hal Leonard Corporation,
the largest sheet music publishers in the world. Houle's new publisher, Abundant Silence Publishing,
is issuing Cowboy Jazz II and many other original compositions for students and serious concert pianists.
Houle's "Chopin Nocturnes" CD features performances with authentic variants along with original variants as Chopin might have done. Another CD features jazz and classical music of contemporary composer Marjorie Burgess. Both CD's have earned critical acclaim. Houle has also recorded music of James Fry for CRS.
Houle was a frequent contributor to Piano & Keyboard and has also written for Clavier, Clavier Companion, Piano Quarterly, Piano Today, American Record Guide, The College Music Society Newsletter, The Piano Adventures® Teacher FJH Pedagogy Newsletter (see "It's Easy to Improvise!"), North Dakota Music Educator Journal, Arkansas Music Educator Journal ("Segue"), and the IMEA's Idaho Music Notes. Houle also wrote a regular interview column for American Music Teacher from 2004 to 2007.
Representative Recordings by Arthur Houle
• Liszt Sonata 6_12_03 with embellishments by performer (based in part on authentic alternate sources)
• Polonaise in A-flat by Frederick Chopin, live performance, Mesa State College, 2-10-08
• Etude in D-Sharp Minor by Alexander Scriabin, Op. 8, No. 12, live performance, Mesa State College, 10-5-09
• Nocturne in E-Flat Major by Frederick Chopin, Op. 9, No. 2, live performance with authentic embellishments by Chopin and some by Houle, Mesa State College, 9-29-06
• Bright-Eyed and Bushy-Tailed by Arthur Houle*, live performance, Colorado Mesa University, 2-11-09
(Music published by Abundant Silence Publishing)
• Under the Stars by Arthur Houle*, recording session, Mesa State College, 3-15-09
• Jazz Fantasy by Arthur Houle*, live performance, Mesa State College, 2-10-08
* Original compositions © Arthur Houle.
Site Issues? Contact the Webmaster.